Friday, September 30, 2011

Day 25

We were awoken by a combination of doorbell and dog bark around 9:45 this morning. Apparently it's important to ring the doorbell before aerating a customer's lawn; at least that's what I surmised while simultaneously decrusting my eyes and dressing my son.

By the time I completely gained consciousness, I realized that it was a pretty nice day outside. I decided there was no more fitting way to celebrate this than by heading to Philadelphia and sharing a real Philly Cheesesteak with my son. As you may recall, we had a cheesesteak at a Phillies game last week. However, this was just the generic ballpark variety version. That doesn't really count. Today he would make the most important decision in his young life: Pat's or Geno's.

He slept a little on the way, including passing by Pat's. As we approached Geno's (just a few hundred feet across an intersection), he began to make some noise. Clearly the choice had been made. 

I ordered "one Whiz with" (I'll succumb to their ordering criteria, but I refuse to drop the "h" from "with") and nearly forgot to get my change when I got my drink. I have always been more of a Jim's guy, but their service is awful. I doubt they would have called out to me to remind me to take my change, let alone call me "sir" like Geno's cashier did. My son enthusiastically accepted each small bite of the sandwich, alternating between it and his Cheerios. He wasn't nearly as fond of the lemonade that I was drinking, as he spit it up as quickly as he took a sip.

After finishing our lunch, we drove down 10th Street toward Citizens Bank Park. I had never taken this route before, and I imagine it would be a nightmare on gamedays. However, it is easily the most gorgeous way to approach CBP. 10th Street would allow one to drive straight across the field to home plate if there weren't walls in the way. The ballpark grows as the surrounding row homes dwindle, finally revealing a sea of brick, steal, and blue seats. I've been to that stadium literally hundreds of times in the past 8 years, and I never saw it so majestically as I did today.

We parked near the team store, and I carried my son across the street before allowing him to walk around on his own outside the stadium. Citizens Bank Way, the small street that separates the parking lot from the ballpark, was closed off for the upcoming playoff festivities, so I didn't have to worry about him running off the sidewalk. He walked around near the entrance for about 15 minutes, stopping to admire the statue of Mike Schmidt and perform for the workers setting up the nearby temporary merchandise tent.

I can only use my employee discount on days where there is no game. This policy changed this season, and it really, really sucks- especially for employees like me who are not required to work every game. We were never formally informed about it. I had to find out about it when I was at a game earlier this year with my son... celebrating his first birthday! We stood in line for several minutes, and when it was my turn, the cashier informed me of the "new" policy (that was being selectively enforced all season, according to coworkers). Apparently we can only buy things hours before the game begins or on days when there is no game at all. Since it is nearly impossible for me to get to games that early, my only choice is to drive down to the stadium on days when there is no game. However, this blog is about my son, so back to that.

As he walked around in the store, he kept trying to go to the outside portion where the registers are located. I couldn't figure out why until I relented and walked in with him. Ceiling fans. Of course! I gave him a few minutes to enjoy them, and then we did some shopping. I carried him upstairs to the Phanatic Attic children's area and was amazed as he figured out how to walk down the steps all by himself. Normally he reaches out for my hand as he attempts to descend steps, but today he used the metal mesh walls to balance himself as he walked. It was a major breakthrough, but it also means I have to be extra careful with him and steps now.

The Phillies had a "Rally Trolley" promotion today, which essentially was a bunch of team personel travelling around town in a trolley spreading good cheer and rally towels. The trolley's final stop was the stadium, and they happened to arrive just as we were checking out of the store. Radio announcer and former Phillies relief pitcher Larry Andersen was on the trolley and was kind enough to stop and take a picture with my son. It was surreal to hear "L.A." babytalk to my son and take such a genuine interest in him. He even suggested I take another photo when my son put his head down in the first. (Facebook friends can see that the picture was pretty terrible anyway. Oh well.)

We walked over and watched as my son's new friend was interviewed on the local sports talk radio station that was broadcasting nearby. One of the hosts, Glen Macnow, motioned for my son to come over and gave him a Phillies rally towel- the same rally towel that I had previously failed to procure at the final home game of the season! We thanked him and I tried to get him to wave it, but he was showing signs of sleepiness so we went on our way. There was just enough traffic to allow him to get in a decent nap before returning home to his eagerly waiting Mommy.

No comments:

Post a Comment