Tuesday, September 6, 2011

Day 7

It's the day after Labor Day, so the school year has officially started. To celebrate, my son once again got up after 10.

Today was supposed to be a 5-mile day, but as anyone who lives in the Northeast knows, that wasn't happening. I only have a month of training left for the Steamtown Marathon, and things haven't gone all that smoothly this summer. It seemed to be a whole lot easier last year, but that's probably because it was my first marathon and I was just excited to see if I was physically capable of completing it. It's not that I'm slacking this year, but I've just found it harder to get motivated. I guess I'm more of a "play to see how well you can do" rather than "play to win" kind of guy. Sorry.

There don't seem to be many options for working out when one has to watch a small child. I have run in the rain before, but I wouldn't dare take my son out in this type of weather. I suppose I could buy some sort of cover for the front of my (not-to-be-used-as-a) jogging stroller, but I shudder to think about how much virtual weight would be added by the wind resistance. While I no longer belong to a gym, I've seen what the "Day Care" at such establishments looks like. I can't imagine subjecting my son to that, nor would I expect my wife to approve of it either. I guess I could wait until he takes a nap; it would give me a chance to test the range of our baby monitor. I'm kidding, of course.


We signed up for two exciting activities today: Kindermusik on Wednesdays, and "storytime" on Thursdays at our local public library. I thought it was important for us to have some structure and a reason to actually wake up at a certain time occasionally, especially after marathon training ends. It will be interesting to see how he handles both, as he is probably a little young for both. My son is also starting "swimming" class again this Saturday. He (seemingly) loves the water, and I was disappointed that we didn't get a chance to visit our local pool more this summer. Luckily, our local high school offers swimming opportunities throughout the school year. We did it last Spring, and he was probably the youngest in the class. He alternated good and bad weeks, and then we discovered the previously mentioned  trick of giving him something to hold. Needless to say, "turtle friend" will never be far away from my son when we're in the pool.

Naptime was very late today- around 3:30. He was kind enough to wait to fall asleep until after we got home from buying season 7 of The Office at Best Buy. It only took 5 minutes for him to fall asleep after we got upstairs. I appreciated his efforts because I had to leave to teach my drum lesson when my wife got home at 4.

Tomorrow is an 8-mile and band practice day. It's likely to be another very, very rainy day. I also get "bonus time" with my son because my wife has "Back To School" night tomorrow evening. My first class has officially started. Things are about to get interesting.

No comments:

Post a Comment