Thursday, September 8, 2011

Day 9

I set the alarm so we could wake up and get to Storytime at the library by 10. It was nice to have some free time before my son woke up. I imagine that's going to be something I'm going to rely on in the years to come. I was showered and ready to go before 9, but he still wasn't up. I got "my" diaper bag packed and ready for the day, knowing that running would likely be washed out again today so we might take a trip to the mall. Still not a sound from the baby's room. I went upstairs, turned off his white noise machine, and he still didn't wake up right away. I had to step around his room rather heavily in order to finally get him to roll over and look up at me. By this time, it was nearly 10 o'clock, and we were certain to be late. The library is roughly a mile from our house, so I wasn't worried. While I remembered to back the car into the driveway to limit the amount of time my son would be out in the rain, I neglected to actually unlock his door. In addition, when we finally got on the road, I realized that the diaper bag that I had so meticulously packed had been left at home. Knowing that we would only be gone about an hour and anticipating a cancellation due to flooding, I continued on.

We arrived at the library a few minutes late, and there was only one other small child there. We'll call him "Trey", because that's his name. There were 12 kids signed up for Storytime, Trey and my son were the only two who braved the weather. We were treated to a story about sunflowers that my son largely ignored. He found that searching through the many toys in Storytime Kingdom was much more interesting that staring at bound pieces of paper. He was quiet, just inattententive. He's also not even 14 months old yet, so who can blame him? This is just an experiment- if it works out, great. If not, it was free. I was happy to see that the objects he spent the most time with were a pair of mallets. Little victory!

After the story was finished, it was craft time! We were making- wait for it- sunflowers! He was actually relatively interested in this activity, reaching for the glue-covered Popsicle sticks and sunflower seeds. I thought it might be completely adorable if we actually made a sunflower and brought it home to Mommy, so we did. I even made sure that he had some sort of involvement in the finished product, so I held one of the seeds, let him touch it, and placed it on the glue. I was sure it would be a cherished memory for hours to come.

Storytime Lady (not real name) informed us that there is another library group that is actually for babies starting in October, so we will be signing up for that as well. Again, I wasn't expecting much, and I was very proud of his excellent behavior- especially without breakfast or much of an idea what he was supposed to do.

Soon after we got home, Mommy let me know that her school would be getting out early. Baby was very excited, but it didn't show in his diaper for once. After breakfast, playtime, lunch, and more playtime, my son was looking pretty sleepy. Crafts will do that to a boy. Just as I was rocking him to sleep, Mommy came home. For a short time, he was no longer sleepy.

We hae absolutely nothing planned tomorrow. It's gonna be great. Oops- that's not completely true- we have a breakfast date at Chick-Fil-A. Free breakfast entree! Woo hoo!

No comments:

Post a Comment