Monday, September 19, 2011

Day 16

After missing our first edition of Kindermusik last week, I made sure that I triple-checked the time before I set my alarm for this morning. I was up in plenty of time- my son, not so much. Regardless, we arrived just in time for class to begin. While this was not our normal class (we'll meet with them on Wednesday, my brain permitting), I got a pretty good idea of what to expect. Counting the teacher and children, our class had 13 people in it. Our class had one male over the age of 3 in it. It was fun learning the songs, playing the instruments, and being the only barritone in the room. It was fun dancing and chasing my son around the room. He was quite fond of a particular doorknob on one side of the room and kept returning to it during the songs. Rather than pulling him away from it and possibly turning this into a negative experience, I let him spend a little bit of time over there before bringing him back to our small circle. I was a little bit concerned about how he will handle being in this particular version of the class, as it is for 18 months to 3 years and he is only 14 months old. Then I remembered that he's 14 months old, and it doesn't really matter as long as he's not screaming most of the time.

Everyone in our house was feeling a little under the weather this past weekend, so I really wanted to take it easy the rest of the day. That meant there would be no adventure today. However, as I earlier posted on Facebook, it was an "obnoxiously gorgeous" day today. We made a quick stop at home to pick up my stroller before heading out again to pick up and eat lunch.

Wawa has been good to us in the lunch department so far. It has everything my son enjoys, and there always seems to be one nearby when we need it. Today's menu was pretty standard: turkey hoagie, apple slices, and fruit punch. However, after burning nearly 3000 calories running 20 miles on Saturday, I felt I (we) deserved a cheese-stuffed soft pretzel. He didn't complain. I drove us to the Reading Public Museum, found a bench near the ducks, and we ate our lunch in no hurry whatsoever.

He's very aware of every animal around him. He sees dogs across the creek, and he begins to wave at them. I've tried to teach him to wave and say, "Hi puppy!" There is a clear difference between the way he addresses dogs and other animals. For example, the ducks were "duh", and dogs were definitely "puh". Of course, many other things around the house could be a "duh" or "puh", but I like to think he's learning something. After pushing him in the stroller for a while, I put his shoes on him and let him walk around. He took this opportunity to go leaf hunting- at one point he was holding 8 of them that he had picked up 1 at a time. That seemed to be the limit, as he would drop more than he could pick up after that. He was very proud of his collection and even brought one over for me to hold. Then he pulled it away.

As we continued on our circuitous route back to our car, we came across a man and a woman walking a dog (off leash). My son walked right up to the dog and began waving. The dog soon sneezed, and the sneeze, of course, is easily in my son's top three bodily functions. He giggled wildly and chased the dog around the couple's legs for a moment. He soon lost interest in the dog, as he discovered the steps near the exit of the planetarium. In a dramatic show of determination, he ascended the steps and triumphantly raised his arms over his head. Though I promised not to tell, this was actually his signal that he didn't know how to get down. Please don't hate me, kid.

We explored the park a little longer before returning home for an abbreviated naptime. He must have known Mommy was on her way.

No comments:

Post a Comment