Friday, September 16, 2011

Days 14 and 15

A few days ago, a friend asked me if I wanted a suite ticket for the first game of a Phillies doubleheader on Thursday. Knowing that I worked the second game, this would not be easy. However, I didn't want to miss out on the opportunity (for both of us), so I gladly obliged. My wife was kind enough to agree to pick up our son in King of Prussia after the game. I figured that him walking there would take far too long, so I drove him. I later learned that was a mistake. More on that later.

Our day began ominously, as Mr. Ten O'Clock woke up around 7:30- right as my wife was about to leave. He must have wanted to make sure we didn't miss Storytime like we missed Kindermusik. My wife picked him up and brought him into bed with me, but this did nothing to calm him down. This was the first time he was awake for her leaving for work, and I'm sure it wasn't easy for her to leave as he was screaming. Of course he stopped screaming right after she left. We got up and ready for Storytime.

The stories today were about Fall. My son made it through the entire first book before deciding he needed to be somewhere else in the library. We decided to skip craft time this week, but we stuck around for the snack. It was the first time my son experienced Teddy Grahams. Based on his reaction, it won't be the last. I think he has a crush on the one little girl in the class. He kept taking various objects over to her and dropping them on her chair. She picked each one up and handed it right back to him. Rinse and repeat. We signed up to bring in the snack for the final meeting. I think that's when he's going to make his move.

After a quick stop at home to let the dogs out and grab some milk, we headed to the game. We had to make a couple of stops first: we grabbed "our" ticket at my friend's dad's house and visited my grandmother. Thankfully, my son slept most of the way to the ballpark. He even gave me a moment to get everything together before we made the 3/4 mile walk from our employee parking lot (zOMG- abuse of privileges, don't tell!!). Because we were in a suite, I was able to use my stroller. Obviously, this made the walk much easier.

As we entered Citizens Bank Park at the Suite and Club Level Entrance on Pattison Avenue, we were given a Cliff Lee gym bag. This will likely become my new diaper bag. We took the elevator up to the aptly named Suite Level (this is where Daddy reports to work, too) and found my friend's grandfather, dad, sister, and nephew already there. My son was very excited to get out of the stroller and run around in the suite. We were extra glad to be inside, as it was a very windy and rainy day. It also gave him a chance to roam (relatively) free for most of the game and experience his first lunch of only ballpark food. Of course, in a suite this doesn't mean just hot dogs and soda. As I am in the final few weeks of marathon training, he had a little more freedom than I in the food and drink department. It was kind of difficult to see all that free soda, beer, and food and know that I couldn't really have all I wanted, but I survived. Someday, my blood pressure will thank me.

My son had fun playing with my friend's similarly aged nephew. At one point they both discovered the base of a "high-top" table and played a silly hybrid game of peek-a-boo and mirror, as seen on Facebook. He also enjoyed attempting to eat just about every crumb of food scattered around the floor. I liked one of these activities far more than the other.

The Phillies won the game (both games of the doubleheader, actually), but we had to leave in the 7th inning in order to give me a chance to take him to Mommy in KoP and get back in time to report for the second game. The 20ish mile trip took roughly 1 1/2 hours. After a quick hello and handoff, I turned the car around and headed once again for the ballpark. Another hour and a half later, I reported to work (2 innings late).

-----

We were both exhausted after such an eventful day, so we slept until our normal wakeup time. I'm happy to report that we did absolutely nothing but relax and be father and son. We both deserved it. We (all) made it through Mommy's first full week of work!

No comments:

Post a Comment