Thursday, September 22, 2011

Days 18 and 19

Two music classes in one week turned out to be no problem at all for my son. He enjoyed meeting all of his classmates in the regular class. This one is far more full than the one we attended on Monday. Within a few minutes of the class starting, my son found a female admirer. And her daughter. One couldn't keep her hands off of him; the other couldn't stop telling him how adorable he is. It will be interesting to see how this plays out throughout the semester (?).

We sang the same songs today that we did on Monday. My son hasn't memorized them yet. He'll get there. Right now his focus seems to be walking around the room since there's no doorknob for him to attack. He did manage to pick up a few of the instruments and clap at the appropriate time once or twice.

-----

Our favorite trail reopened today, at least enough of it for us to get our 5 miles in. The trail is still very wet and bumpy, but I'm just thankful that its closing was the biggest inconvenience I experienced due to the recent extreme weather. The bumps give my son a chance to sing a sustained note and listen to his voice vibrate, and that's just adorable.

We later had band practice at school, and I left him out of his "cage" for most of it. He just wandered around near the drums, even grabbing a stick and playing the ride cymbal at mostly appropriate times. At one point I just used my left hand and let him take care of the right: our first duet. I'll mark that down in the baby book later.

Today's extreme embarrassment of the day- One of my bandmates asked me about our experience at the Phillies game, and I was describing the day while taking one of the rack toms off of the kit (so my son could play with it). As I went to sit down and place the drum on the floor next to me, I quickly realized there was nothing on which to sit. I fell on my butt in slow motion, narrowly avoiding my son who had apparently pushed over the throne. I'm told he was laughing, and that makes it A-OK.

I had to work at the final Phillies (regular season) home game tonight, and it was completely ridiculous to drive all the way home and drop him off with my wife before driving right back the same direction. Therefore, I enlisted the help of my mom; we'll call her "Gram". Gram was eagerly waiting outside for us when we arrived, but my son was more interested in walking up the street. She caught up with him and happily dealt with his many changes of direction as I drove away. I'll see him tomorrow morning.

No comments:

Post a Comment