Wednesday, September 21, 2011

Day 17

I'm really not sure where to begin about today. I guess the easiest way to put it is it was one of those days that I am certain I will always remember. Today we went to the Phillies. It wasn't that it was our first game- he's been to roughly 10 of them, and I've saved all the tickets. It wasn't even the first time just the two of us went to game- that happened last week. It wasn't that it was an overly great game- they lost 4-3 in 10 innings. They didn't even play all the regular starters. It was just a great day.

My son woke up around 7, much to the chagrin of my wife who had to be at work early and therefore couldn't hang out to calm him down. He had no interest in going back to sleep after she left, but he fell asleep soon after we got in the car. We left about three hours before the game started. As I have driven back and forth from Philadelphia countless times in the past seven years, I know all too well how unpredictable traffic can be on the way. We arrived approximately an hour before the game started.

Since our ticket (only one needed until he turns 2) was in the Diamond Club, we had plenty to explore before the first pitch. My son had little to no interest in checking out the swank surroundings and instead chose to trot around in the handicapped section directly behind my seat. During the player introductions, he pointed out the Phanatic to me, much like he finds the animals before I do. He made a few friends along the way, some of whom were kind enough to pick up his sippy cup each time he dropped it out of my reach.

It was supposed to rain. It didn't. Since the Diamond Club also includes a large enclosed area with plenty of TVs and other things at which to look, I figured that we'd be fine either way. The sun even came out at one point. Truthfully, the weather wasn't really on my mind as my son and I shared experiences such as his first cheesesteak at a ballgame, his first time on Phanavision (this came right before the beginning of the bottom of the tenth inning; apparently we were on a second time, as we were earlier recognized walking around in another section of the ballpark), and his first time showing actual interest in what was going on in the game. Each time the crowd would cheer, he would stop what he was doing to turn around and look at the field. It's been an interesting progression since his first game last year to his first game this year and finally today: sleeping, screaming, and looking. I'm sure booing is right around the corner, maybe in time for the playoffs...

The score was 0-0 until the 7th inning, when the opposition hit a 3-run home run off of a guy who spent the majority of the season in AAA Lehigh Valley. We were walking around in the Hall of Fame Club, another less-exclusive but equally cool section of the park, when this happened. He needed a break from mostly standing next-to or between my legs, and an employee suggested we head up there. Soon after we got off of the elevator, my son was hugged/ attacked by a little girl who apparently does this to nearly everyone she sees. To her father, I say, "Good luck". While he was avoiding her, another little girl came up to us and "talked" with my son. At one point we had a little group of 4 toddlers that were blocking the thoroughfare with a combination of running, hugging, screaming, and playing. If I had been working, I would have hated it. Because I was "dadding", I loved it. We continued on through the HoFC, and my son came across two more little girls, and immediately went up to one of them with his arms outstretched as if to hug her. As far as I know, he had never done this before. He hugs family members and such, but never a stranger. Apparently he still has a little to learn, because the hug locked more like a choke. We'll be more careful next time.

When it appeared that he had "got his sillies out", we returned to our seat. No one ever showed up in the seats next to us, which made sitting much more comfortable than usual. Of course, the seats in the DC are extra wide and padded, so that didn't hurt either. We picked a good time to go back, it seemed, as the Phillies tied the game with a 3-run homer of their own soon after we sat back down. He smiled and even clapped a little as I spun around celebrating with the rest of the crowd. We stuck around and watched the rest of the game, sharing the requisite ice cream in a miniature batting helmet. After the final out, I asked an usher to take our picture, as I wanted to have a visual memory of the day. I look a lot more excited than he does, but that's to be understood as he was surely exhausted. He never lost his cool, though, and that was yet another positive part of the day.

He fell asleep again soon after we got in the car. Traffic was traffic, but I didn't much care. I smiled all the way home, having enjoyed a great day at the ballpark with my son.

No comments:

Post a Comment