Thursday, September 29, 2011

Days 23 and 24

Music class was relatively the same this week. My son has more interest in walking around than being part of the class, but he's not the only one. His "girlfriend" follows him around, and they seem quite content doing their own thing. He has begun consistently clapping at the end of each song or activity, and I think that is awesome. But there is no screaming, no crying, and no tantrums, so no complaints from Daddy.

After class we went to the Berkshire Mall. Our friends from the shoe store remembered my son as he walked by their store. He got some comments on his sweet Adidas Samba Classics at the GAP. He cheated on his girlfriend with an older woman at the famous "texting" fountain. He ate pizza from Famous #1 Ray's Original Pizzeria Plus (or whatever it's called). He made an old lady or two's day. He even found a fan in a twentysomething hair product kiosk worker. It's one thing if the guy was selling something he actually expected me to buy; this guy was definitely interested and said "he could watch him all day". Sure it's somewhat creepy, but I knew what he meant. The kid is cute.

-----

This morning I had my first taste of middle-of-the-night duty. He'd been sleeping through the night since my wife went back to work, and I've been thankful for that. At 3 o'clock this morning that all came to a screeching, er- screaming halt. It took roughly two hours to finally get him back to sleep, and then he woke up again for good "early" at 9. I used a combination or laying on the floor next to his crib, standing and rocking, sitting and rocking, and reasoning ("just go to sleep, already. you're exhausted! why can't you see that?"). I think it was the reasoning that did it.

Getting up early ended up being a good thing because it gave me to time to get in a run before lunch. There was a strange sunshower soon after we got home [followed by far too many rainbow pictures on Facebook - don't you people have jobs?!? ;-)], but my son was too busy enjoying most of a Wendy's hamburger and some grapes to notice.

For today's shower distraction, I tried a suggestion from my wife. Usually I put him in his crib and let him watch Yo Gabba Gabba!, but yesterday she noticed that he pointed and laughed at the puppies in the new Spooky Buddies commercial. We own the first four Buddies movies, so she thought he might be ready to watch and "appreciate" them. I figured he wouldn't truly understand the nuances of the franchise unless we started at the beginning, so I put in Air Buddies. He immediately identified, pointed and laughed at the puppies and didn't make any other sounds while I got undisgusting.

I had band practice in the afternoon, but Gram was relatively thrilled at the chance to watch him while we rehearsed. After I dropped him off at her house, I drove to school and was able to focus for the entire practice- that is, when I wasn't thinking about how weird it was to not have to keep an eye on him the entire time! Our big "gig" is in two days, so it was nice to be able to get so much work done.

Tomorrow is Friday, and we have no plans. We'll see what happens.

No comments:

Post a Comment