Monday, October 3, 2011

Day 26

I had to spend a few hours in my sons room this morning, as he woke up right before my wife's alarm went off. Sometimes when he is so upset and won't fall asleep, one of us sleeping on the floor next to him is the only thing that will calm him down. After he calmed himself down, he slept for another couple of hours. I knew it was time to wake up when some of his toys and clothing started hitting me about the face and torso. That's what I get for trying to get a few extra minutes of sleep while he was trying to tell me to get up.

I forgot to call ahead and register him for "Baby Storytime" at the local library. Even though I'm sure we would have been fine just showing up, I didn't want to be that guy. We would have also been in quite a rush, so I figured we could just start next week. We have our regular storytime on Thursday, so I hope to straighten it all out then.

While he had his breakfast, I watched last night's episode of Breaking Bad. If you watch it, you know it's a fantastic show. While the content isn't exactly for children, one particular scene caused my son to stand up and point at the TV. Sure enough, there were drug-sniffing dogs on the screen! After they disappeared, he went back to his normal business of picking up toys and organizing them by color or type.

I was supposed to do my final long training run of 8 miles on Saturday. However, my Saturday consisted of waking up early for our yard sale, taking one dog to get his haircut; taking my son to swimming lessons; taking the other dog to get her nails clipped; cleaning up the yard sale; packing, transporting, and setting up my drums and P.A. to a gig on the other side of town; announcing a high school soccer game; and playing the aforementioned gig. I don't mean to whine, but there really wasn't much time for an 8-mile run. Sunday I just didn't feel like it, and I had to work super late at the Phillies NLDS game that night. Anyway, I tried to take care of that today, but it started raining about 3 miles in. I planned ahead and decided to just do laps around the neighborhood, so we weren't stuck in the rain for very long. Oh well. There's no sense trying to cram it in now. If I wasn't ready before this week, I won't magically be in better shape because of a few more miles.

I showered, and then we ate lunch. We still have many leftover items even after a relatively successful yard sale, so I thought I'd give Cash Converters a try. My wife and I have A LOT of unnecessary CDs and other media that we have been trying to get rid of with varying success, so I grabbed them along with several obsolete (to me) electronic devices. Since I couldn't carry the boxes and my son at the same time, I didn't even bother taking them (the boxes, not my son) out of my trunk. The clerk was kind enough to not only go out and assess the items but also carry them in for me. What was once worth hundreds of dollars was valued at $10, but I didn't care; I just wanted it out of my house. Maybe I'll use it to buy myself a nice fat cheeseburger after the race on Sunday.

My son fell asleep soon after we left Cash Converters and made a quick stop at Goodwill to donate the items that were assigned no value. I drove to the parking lot of a nearby sports complex and let him sleep for about an hour before my car decided to just shut off (from accessory mode) on its own. While it started up again right away, it still may be something to watch. I've put over 150,000 miles on it in just a little over 6 years with very few problems. I knock on wood, but you never know...

We drove to Mommy's school and waited for her in the parking lot. My plan was for him to be awake when we got there so she would see him on the playground, but he decided he needed more sleep. It worked out for the best anyway, since hers was the first face he saw when he finally did wake up.

No comments:

Post a Comment