Wednesday, October 19, 2011

Days 36 and 37

Today was such a gorgeous day; I didn't want to waste it inside. After breakfast we headed back to Gring's Mill for the first time since the marathon. They still haven't opened the whole trail, so we headed towards the area called Red Bridge (so named, one can assume, because of the red covered bridge nearby). I kept my son in his stroller for the first half mile of the trip, but I gave him a shot to walk on his own since the trail was so empty. It was a little bit of a risk because there's a pretty steep hill leading down to the creek below. However, I trust both my son's fear of straying too far from me and my ability to chase a 15-month old, so I let him go.

As I expected, he stayed pretty close to me, save for getting a little overexcited by some interesting leaves and dirt he found along the way. There was only one slip, and it was on the non-creek side. He walked (and almost "ran") for almost a half mile in a relatively straight line along the trail. My guess is that he picked up on all those times he saw Daddy do it. He was so happy having (what he must have thought was) complete freedom as he continued on his way. He stopped, observed, and pointed at each person who approached us in the opposite direction as if he was making sure they saw how independent he was.

When we reached Red Bridge, we stopped for a water and picture break. He "climbed" a tree for a couple of the pictures and seemed very excited about sitting so high above the ground (I kept a hand on him the entire time). Eventually we had to head back to Gring's Mill, and he was quite content sitting in the stroller and letting me do all the work.

-----

We were a little late for music class today even though he was up early again. To make matters worse, the shoes that I thought were in my diaper bag were actually in my "eBay bag". He wasn't the only child in socks- it's just that the other is three months old. How embarrassing. It didn't stop him from having a great time as usual.

He had an early lunch and nap in preparation for meeting Mommy at school and seeing 5th Grade's chicks. He had a great time wandering the hallways and checking out each classroom in the building. Seriously- he walked into every classroom on the first and second floor, some more than once. He appeared genuinely interested in the chicks and was very gentle when Mommy's colleague held one for him to pet. Since you asked, yes, chicks are also "dup"s!

It wasn't all chicks and giggles today. Ahem. He had to go to the doctor for a standard checkup and some shots before dinner, and that is rarely fun. Afterwards was much better because he helped raise some money for Daddy's school at Chick-Fil-A. Many of my coworkers, former students, and friends got a chance to see my son for the first time, and Gram also joined us for dinner (and a show from the cast of the Jr. High musical). As expected, my son applauded appropriately at the end of each song. It was a great way to end an uneven day.

No comments:

Post a Comment