Thursday, October 20, 2011

Day 38

We went to the Berkshire Mall to kill some time between storytime and lunch. We didn't need to buy anything; I just wanted to give him a chance to run around a little bit since it was kind of cold outside.

Our first stop was the pet store, where we checked out some puppies, bunnies, ferrets, and kittens. My son was quite interested in each, but he spent the most time checking out the ferrets. I wouldn't let him touch them for fear of him getting bitten, but he got as close as he could. Hmm. Daddy's never had any ferrets...

My son walked into a few different stores than usual. He took a little tour of the hair salon, but I told the woman at the front that I knew Mommy wouldn't be too happy if he got a haircut without her. He also stopped in Gymboree, and I was surprised that one of the girls working there recognized him. My wife told me about this girl and her affinity for our son, and sure enough she started gushing to her coworker about him as soon as we walked in. He didn't mind.

We walked the length of the mall and turned around. Soon after, I saw a little boy wandering around by himself calling out for his daddy. It was one of the saddest things I've ever seen. I immediately approached him and asked if he needed help, but he didn't seem to be interested in my assistance. I suppose talking to strangers trumps being lost in terms of a small child's concerns. Thankfully, a female worker from a nearby clothing store came over as I was trying to talk to him. It could have been the fact that she was a girl, or it could have been that she flashed her name badge, but he allowed her to help. I walked with them as they tried to find his daddy (who, it turns out, wasn't even at the mall). Just a few storefronts away, but millions of miles in the child's mind, his mommy scolded him to "never do that again" as they reunited. Way to share the blame, mom.

I was in need of some positive vibes after that experience, and my son provided them soon after we crossed center court. There's a kiosk that sells radio controlled helicopters, and it turns out my son is mesmerized by radio controlled helicopters. As soon as he saw one, he stood, watched, and pointed at the flying machine for several minutes. The guy controlling it let it land right at my son's feet, and naturally my son picked it up and swung it all over the place. The salesman assured me that it was practically indestructible, so I let him go. Just when I thought he lost interest, he turned back and stared at it again. We have one at home, but he's never seen it. I suppose that will have to change.

No comments:

Post a Comment