Wednesday, October 12, 2011

Day 31

After realizing that I could neither go to the post office nor the bank yesterday, I wanted to make sure I got to at least one of them today. We did the customary breakfast thing, and I got him ready to go. I originally planned on driving but changed my mind when I remembered my wife told me the weather was going to get ugly later in the week. I figured we should enjoy the nice weather while we had it, so I pulled the stroller out of my car and we walked the half-mile to the post office.

About a block in to our trip, I stopped and stretched my calves on a curb. A woman slowly pulled up next to us and asked, "Do you need help?" I suppose the sight of a man slightly huddled over a stroller on a sidewalk with one leg on the street and the other on the curb was cause for concern for her, but I laughed and assured her I was just stretching. I'm not sure what she thought the problem was, but I continue to be amazed by how many people want to help the guy with the stroller.

Despite a few lengthy traffic lights and two sore legs, we made it to the post office. Even if we had driven there, I still would have needed to put him in the stroller so I could have two free hands to pack up my items for shipment. I guess the post office is usually busy the day after a holiday because the line was out the door of the small Sinking Spring building. When I was finished packaging the goods (or at least the 2 of 3 that I remembered to take with me), the next man in line waved me in front of him... at the post office! (Refer to the last sentence of paragraph two.)

There's a relatively new flower shop across the street from the post office. I noticed the advertisement of their current special, so my son and I went in to buy Mommy some flowers. She's been sick recently, so we  thought it might be nice to get her something pretty to make her feel a little better.

Continuing along Penn Avenue (yes, the same road along which we ate crepes and bought shakers, but miles away), we passed by our dogs' hairdresser. At that precise moment, Allison, the owner, was walking out of the store. She hadn't seen my son in several months and remarked at how big he is getting. I suppose she's right, but sometimes it's hard to notice because I see him every day. We haven't been weighing him lately, but perhaps when he turns FIFTEEN MONTHS OLD (!) tomorrow, we should.

Lunch was a cheeseburger and apple slices at McDonald's. I had a little trouble navigating the doors to get into the building, but just when I was about to figure it out, a woman came out from behind the counter and helped me. It's nearly impossible to get in from the south outside door, so I had to partially leave through the north outside door before backing in through the inside door. I'd draw you a diagram, but I doubt you care that much.

While we enjoyed our lunch, I noticed my son was missing his left sock. This is nothing new, as he removes his left sock probably 6 times a day, every day. Usually it's in or around his crib, next to his carseat, or in the bottom of the stroller. This time it was nowhere to be found. I called the post office and flower shop, but they didn't see it. It's just a sock, but it has cute little puppy faces on it! Against my calves better judgement, we set off to retrace our (my) steps and find the sock.

We did not find the sock.

No comments:

Post a Comment