Monday, October 10, 2011

Days 29a, 29b, and 30

We had a couple of weeks of from storytime at the library, so it was nice for my son to get back and see some old friends. Today's stories were about monsters. As luck would have it, the monsters were silly. Who would have expected that? This was the first time I didn't have to chase my son around the room during the stories. I think it had something to do with bringing his breakfast bar along and feeding him while we sat together. It's something to consider for the future.

-----

My wife took a personal day on Friday so we could all go see the Yo Gabba Gabba! Live! show. We were in the front row, and it was awesome watching our son see all his friends live and up close. He had "met" Muno and Brobee at a Lancaster Barnstormers game this past summer, but all they did is stand around for pictures. To see them dancing around and "singing" was much more exciting. I have to think it can't really be all that special for children to meet characters wearing costumes because generally they aren't allowed to speak. That's the main reason we didn't pay extra for the meet and great with the characters. He was especially thrilled to see DJ Lance Rock and Biz Markie in person (we were, too!).

-----

For those of you who have never experienced the day after a marathon- consider yourselves lucky! 18 weeks of training and sacrifice culminates with one of the most difficult physical activities a person can endure. Just when you think it's all over, you wake up the next morning.

I drove up to Scranton on Saturday to pick up my bib, bag, and other race materials and then stayed overnight a few miles out of town. The race was early on Sunday, and then I drove back home for my Dad's birthday dinner. It was quite a weekend: 4 hours of running sandwiched between 4 hours of driving! Monday morning was rough, but not the way I expected. Everybody says that the worst part of recovery from this race is the quad pain (because of miles upon miles of downhills). My quads feel fine; it's my calves that are so very, very sore. Thankfully my son didn't make me chase him too much today. He did, however, choose to throw one of his hard plastic toys at my legs several times this morning!

Mommy had inservice today, so she was able to come home in the middle of the day. I picked up some of our favorite pizza after the race yesterday, and we reheated some of it for lunch. It was the first time we got to have it in a while and certainly the first time my son ever had it. Based on how he chose it again and again over his favorite cheese puffs, it's safe to say that he's a fan.

After lunch I decided to go go to the bank and later the post office to ship a few more items that I sold on eBay. Then I realized it was Columbus Day. Whoops.

Since we were already out, we went to Boscov's to buy the new TV we had been shopping for recently. It was really difficult managing my son and the stroller with my weak legs, but I survived. It will be nice to be able to walk up and down steps again more than one foot at a time. Someday.

After buying the TV, it was naptime. I set up the TV while he fell asleep, and Mommy came home soon after that. The two of us got to enjoy a well-deserved nap before dinner. One of the most exciting things about marathon training is thinking about all the food I will get to eat again after it's all over. I'd been looking forward to this week since the beginning of the summer!

No comments:

Post a Comment