Sunday, October 16, 2011

Days 33 and 34

Storytime was all about apples and worms today. We did pretty well with sitting still and "listening" to the stories, but again I used snacks as a distraction. It worked so well that other children came over wanting to share my son's Cheerios. I'm a little bit confused about how this is supposed to work. Should I be offering the snack to the other kids? Does that promote sharing, or am I being rude by talking during the story? I guess if the other parents want their kids to be eating, they would be bringing their own food. I have a similar concern about teaching sharing overall. Who am I to say who gets to play with a certain toy at any given moment? If my son wants to take another kid's toy and the other kid starts crying (or vice versa), isn't it teaching the kid that it's OK to cry to throw a fit if it's going to get you what you want?

-----

I woke up before my son on Friday- without the benefit of an alarm clock. It was a little like Christmas morning; my new iPhone would arrive today! Who can sleep on such an exciting morning? I had no exact idea when it would show up- the tracking website gave me nothing more specific than "at the end of the day" and "out for delivery". Even though we had no actual plans for the day, I thought it would be a good idea to take a shower before he woke up. Just as I was getting ready to dry off, the dogs began barking quite obnoxiously. This could only mean one thing: it was here!

I had to act fast. Surely the dogs barking would wake up my son if it continued. In addition, if I missed the delivery guy, I would also miss the delivery because it required my signature. I reached for a towel, tied it around my waist, and rushed down the stairs- my still soaked feet narrowly avoiding slipping on more than one occasion. Surprised, half-naked and elated, I opened the door to find the UPS man standing on my front porch and holding a nondescript brown box. I was a little concerned because Apple products always seem to ship via FedEx, but I knew by its weight it was exactly what I was expecting. I signed and accepted the delivery, apologized for my lack of clothing, and returned inside. By this time, of course, my son had awoken, so I briefly put down the box and carefully headed back up the puddled steps.

After changing and dressing him, I gave him his bottle. This gave me a chance to open the package and begin the activation process. As anyone who was done this before knows, this is not always a brief exercise. To make matters more difficult, I had to first set this up as my wife's phone and then reset it with all of my information. By doing this, I would be rendering my wife's current phone useless, so I would eventually have to swap out my old phone for her old phone. In order to do that, I also had set up my current phone as her new phone. Confused? I was, too. Luckily I got everything right on the first try. One false move and I could have wiped out a year and a half's worth of pictures and video. And apps- don't forget the apps!

After everything was all set, we surprised Mommy at school to deliver her new (old) phone. Her lunch period had just ended, and we were told she was still upstairs in the faculty room. I asked if we could wait for her by her room, and the security guard (read: senior citizen) obliged. As we walked up the steps to her room, I saw her coming up the hallway. I quickly grabbed my son and placed him in the hallway directly in her line of sight. Within an instant I heard her two-stage gasp- the first because there was a cute baby in the hallway and the second because that cute baby was her cute baby! She hurried over to him and carried him into the office to show him off to the secretary. Then she remembered she still had to work for a few hours and took him into her classroom to roam free. Her students were much more interested in him that I would have expected, and I could tell it would be hard for her to regain focus. Regardless, she had to get back to work, and we had to eat lunch. They separated without tears, soon to be reunited for a relaxing weekend.

No comments:

Post a Comment