Monday, October 31, 2011

Days 44 and 45

Today was a lazy day at home. My son hasn't been feeling all that great, so it was best to just relax. The consensus opinion at home was that this was the correct decision.

-----

Today was our first day of "baby" storytime. We missed the first few classes for a few different reasons. The first was because I didn't sign up ahead of time and didn't want to just show up. Another was because I never put it on my calendar and therefore forgot. The final missed date was the day after the marathon, and I wasn't exactly in any shape to chase my son around the library all morning. Regular storytime ended last week, so it was a good time to finally show up.

Baby storytime is similar to regular storytime in exactly two ways: it has shares the word "storytime" in its name and it takes place at the library. Other than that, there isn't much actual story involved; it's mostly music. I'm not complaining. I wasn't really sure how babies were supposed to stay focused on a story anyway. We started off with a new "hello" song to go along with the hello song we already know for music class. Then we sang about some farm animals and different parts of our body (metatarsals are fantastic, etc.). After that, the leader of storytime, Miss Pat, read a couple board books aloud while the babies drooled and the toddlers walked around. The grand finale had two crowd-pleasing highlights: bubbles and shakers! Who doesn't like that?!?

I can't believe we missed three weeks of this! Next week was scheduled to be the final week of this session, but Miss Pat announced that we would be meeting again for additional weeks. Yay!!! Even after all of that excitement, it got better. There was no snack, but Miss Pat gave us a reusable bag with a couple of books in it. I could get used to baby storytime.

When we got home, I remembered that I had recorded "Poison - Live, Raw & Uncut" early in the morning. I love so many Poison songs, even though they were wildly age-inappropriate (and equally over my head) when they were actually popular. They're such stupid fun that I couldn't resist seeing what they look and sound like these days. My son danced to some of the songs, and I picked him up and sang while we bounced around to classics like "Fallen Angel" and "Unskinny Bop". After he appeared to tire of dancing, I put him down and sat down. What happened next is another one of those moments that sounds completely meaningless, but it meant the world to me. He walked over to my (new) diaper bag, pulled out his drumsticks, and started clicking them together and hitting them on the floor. You can say it was unrelated, but I'm certain he knew what he was doing. Soon after that, it got a little difficult to see in the room. I think some dust got in my eye or something...

No comments:

Post a Comment