Friday, October 28, 2011

Days 41 , 42, and 43

Remember that chair I told you about? Well, today my son climbed back up on it and rather than bouncing and dancing, he decided to sit and relax. He looked like such a big boy, sitting there and smiling proudly.

-----

The highlights of music class today were playing with a cardboard recycling box, climbing the back of a piano, and disappearing behind a wall of filing cabinets. The first time he found his way behind the filing cabinets, I chased him to make sure he didn't fall or get stuck. It turns out there's nothing dangerous there, it's just very dirty. He is so cautious when he walks, noticing every little bump and inconsistency in front of him. There's a doorstop right at the "entrance" behind the filing cabinets, and he saw it before I did. He stepped around it and happily continued on his way.


After class we headed into the city. As hard as it may be to believe, I needed a new cable remote likely because of the way my son treated it. So we drove across the Penn Street Bridge and held our breath as we approached the most dangerous city in the history of ever: Reading. Upon entering the cable company building, there was a smal jumble of 5 or 6 people vaguely resembling a line. The inside of the building is set up in a reverse L shape, and the inside of the L is where the employees are situated. At the bottom of the L there is a cordon meant to act as a lead for the line. How these people couldn't see this, I don't know. Then again, whenever I have to visit the cable company, I am always surprised by someone's stupidity. I think I've written before about how it's up to the citizens of the line to police it, and this was a perfect opportunity to do so. I quickly explained how the line was supposed to work, and surprisingly everybody, ahem, fell in line. This allowed people to actually stand inside the building and not in the airlock or on the steps outside. Shockingly, I was given no reward for changing the line for the better. When it was our turn in line, I handed over the broken remote, it was thrown in a box of other broken things, and I received a replacement. No paperwork, no wait. It was great.

I didn't want to waste a trip to the city without stopping at the nearby Reading Soft Pretzel Bakery, so that was the next stop. My son waited in the car while I picked up the pretzels. Somehow that building smells more like cigarette smoke than pretzels, and if there's one thing a baby doesn't need to smell like, it's cigarettes. Or soft pretzels.

I (well, my chinchillas, not really "I") needed some chinchilla food, so we drove to a local pet store. My son really enjoyed watching the feeder fish in one of their tanks. He's not getting a fish, but it's great to see how much he seemingly loves animals. His uncle has quite an elaborate home aquarium, so we'll be sure to check that out next time we're there.

-----

It was our job to bring the snack for storytime today. My wife was kind enough to bake some Halloween-themed sugar cookies for us while I attended a Butch Walker concert in Philadelphia. Unfortunately, because it was late on a school night, she couldn't go. What a trooper!

We were a little late getting to the library, mainly because Daddy wanted to sleep in after getting home so late, but also because of the extra stuff we had to take with us. They didn't start without us, but I worried that I might be "in trouble" with the moms for not showing up when it was my turn to bring the snack. I always feel like I'm being judged by all the moms at our activities. I'm not sure why, but sometimes I just don't feel like I belong. It's not like I'm crashing a lactation club or something, but it's just a little weird being the only male over the age of 3 sometimes. Regardless, my son and I have fun, and that's all that matters.

No comments:

Post a Comment