Monday, February 27, 2012

Days 110, 111, and 112

Unlike that "quarterbacks don't get sick days" commercial with completely faulty logic, stay at home parents actually don't get sick days. Thankfully, my wife does, and she stayed home with us yesterday as I was still getting over a stomach virus.

I was feeling much better today, so we made it to music class. As soon as the teacher got there, my son sat down right next to her and started tapping his hips (we tap our hops to the rhythm of our "Hello" song). He sat on the storytime blanket all by himself again. He even faced the right direction this time!

After a quick stop at home, we grabbed lunch and went to the park to eat. We saw lots of doggies today, but very few of them actually wanted to talk to us. One of the dog walkers told me that it was good to teach him not to be afraid of dogs. That's certainly a good point, but it might not be healthy for him to be as comfortable as he is around them. As I've said many times before, he thinks dogs are hilarious. He's especially fond of when they growl, bark, and snap at him. Yeah, we're probably going to have to do something about that.

Also, I don't have the official stats to back it up, but I'm pretty sure we set some sort of record for walking back and forth over one particular bridge in the park. Whatever makes him happy!

Toward the end of our trip, I let him get pretty far away from me. We were a safe distance from the water, and he was always in sight; I just wanted to see how far he would get before he realized I wasn't with him. That never happened. I finally gave up and ran after him. Then he chased me around a tree.

-----

This morning I dropped the cap for his milk behind the dishwasher. He's been great about helping to "fetch" little things around the house lately, so I asked him to get it for me. A few seconds later, I had it. He didn't respond much when I asked him to rake the yard.

We've had another little run of fantastic weather, so we jogged to a nearby park and checked out the playground. It didn't take him long to figure out that he was too big for the "2- to 5-year old" equipment. While I wouldn't let him get too far away from me, he had a great time climbing all over the place- especially the (surprise!) bridge. Strangely, he kept gravitating toward a park bench. He doesn't really discriminate; if he can climb it, he will. Eventually we got back to the "little kid" playground, and I happened to catch him on camera climbing up the steps and going down the slide all by himself. He (and I!) was so proud of himself when he got to the bottom of the slide. There's just so much learning going on right now!

-----

We had band practice at school today, and I stopped in to see Pop Pop on the way. He's been sick recently, so he hasn't been able to hang out with his grandson. In order to get his fix, he came outside and peered into my car like it was an aquarium. My son immediately gave him a big smile and made a little of the pain go away. He's pretty good at that- even when you don't realize you need it.

No comments:

Post a Comment