Wednesday, February 8, 2012

Days 99, 100, 101, and 102

The weather continues to be unseasonably and freakishly warm, so we were able to get out and take a nice walk around the block. Along the way, my son saw his first woodpecker. To tell you the truth, I'm not sure how many times I've ever stopped and noticed a woodpecker before. It's funny how pointing things out to my son has made me notice and appreciate little things like that.

We went to the mall after that to get lunch and pick up the jewelry we dropped off a couple weeks ago. Of course we had to stop at the pet store as well, and much to my dismay, my two favorite puppies from before Christmas were still there. One of them was in the play area, and she has gotten so big that they had to take out the divider. I need to stop going there. *sniff*

He spent most of the trip in his stroller, but the mall was pretty empty (and for once we weren't there on the same day as a local school early dismissal day!) so I let him out to walk (run) around. Usually he stops in front of every storefront and stares for a moment before moving on to the next. Today he chose to actually go in one: Hot Topic. I'm gonna go ahead and postulate that it had something to do with the loud music that was playing inside. I'm also going to hope that it has nothing to do with Twilight or spiked leather booty shorts.

-----

We were able to go for another walk today. This time we walked around the block on the other side of the street. I was actually able to get him to hold my hand for most of the trip across the street until he realized what was happening and pulled away just as we reached the curb.

There's a house along the way that has two steps and a railing (together, not randomly thrown throughout)in its front yard. Every time we walk by it, he is drawn to those steps and pulls himself up. Today he did it before I could even notice. He still doesn't consistently choose using the handrail or crawling to get up and down steps, but he's starting to lean towards the former. He's also really quiet about it.

-----

When I was a kid, there was a Seafood Shanty restaurant right near our house. It closed about 20 years ago, but I can still recall the taste of my favorite part: oyster crackers. Though I never really sought them out, I was always disappointed whenever I would eat other variations of oyster crackers and they just tasted like regular crackers. These were different: round, sourdough pretzel-like hard, and dry. After (nonconsecutive) years of dissatisfaction, I more or less gave up hope. Then something changed.

Rumors sometimes become reality. I've read articles about it, but I'm still not sure exactly how or why it happened. Regardless, I was thrilled when I found out that the long-dead franchise was being revived just a few miles from where I live now. Much to my wife's displeasure, I couldn't wait, and my son and I were there for lunch less than an hour after its grand opening. I immediately spotted the oyster crackers on someone's table when we got inside. We got a table for one and a one-and-a-half-year-old, and I could hardly contain my excitement.

I ordered my drink and a bowl of New England clam chowder as I anxiously awaited being reunited with the tiny crackers that had been such a big part of my childhood. I waited as my Diet Pepsi and chowder arrived. I waited as my bread was delivered. I wondered if it was all just some illusion- if I had just projected the oyster crackers onto that table in a moment of desperation as we entered the restaurant. Was it all a lie? Was I destined to go through life without ever again being able to taste the dryness I so deeply desired? Would my son never know how in the world an oyster could be a cracker? Just as I had given up all hope, my waitress returned. "Oh, I'm sorry! Did you want any oyster crackers?"

Other than being my main reason for being there, no, I didn't really want any. Anyway, we had a really nice lunch, and my son got lots of attention as usual. A man who I later found out was the owner came over and told me how great it was to see me enjoying lunch with my son. I told him the same story that I'm sure 75% of the people there told him: I came here as a kid and couldn't wait to share it with my kid(s). Oh, in case you're wondering- my son had the macaroni and cheese.

After a fantastic, nostalgic lunch, I thought we should try and work off some calories. We drove to a nearby park and he immediately started running towards the adjacent school. I tried to divert him a few times, but he just kept going. Eventually I picked him up and we went over to what appeared to be the toddler area of the playground. I put him in the swing and he laughed and laughed. I put him at the top of the slide, and he braced himself before scooting his butt to the edge and taking the plunge. I could tell right away that he wanted to go again. And again. And again. So he did.

-----

Another little boy came over to me and sat in my lap at music class today. My son just kind of stared at him in half-disbelief/ half-contempt as I pondered what it will be like in a few short months when the other little boy in my lap will be his brother. Yikes.

We went to Wal Mart so I could pick up some packing tape to box up what will soon be his brother's room. I didn't put him in a cart because, well, it's Wal Mart. After carrying him around for the first portion of the visit, I put him down right before we headed to check out. In the pots, pans, and containers aisle. Not the best decision I've ever made.

As if anyone would notice.

No comments:

Post a Comment