Sunday, March 4, 2012

Days 113, 114, 115, and 116

The great weather continues! We took an extra long walk into one of the swankier neighborhoods in the area and took advantage of their equally swanky (?) playground. My son figured it all out pretty quickly, even though the setup is considerably different than the equipment we were playing on yesterday. I didn't even have to encourage him to go down the slide this time; he just plopped right down onto his butt and did it all by himself! Before I knew it he was back up and ready to go again. We played on the swings for a little before he let me know that it was time to go.

-----

Whenever we have a breakthrough at music class, I always look forward to the following week to see if it becomes a habit. When he sat down last week and started the class, I was hoping that he'd be able to do it again this week. One, because it was so darn cute, and two, because it keeps me from having to chase him around the room. Sure enough, as soon as the teacher got there he went and sat down next to her and started tapping his legs! He's also responding very well to a few songs in particular- especially the one that ends in him getting tickled. He likes that one so much that he's even started mimicking the motions that go along with the song. He also likes when he bounces on my legs and puts his hands up and down. We've been practicing directions when we go on our walks, so this gives him a chance to show off in front of his friends.

-----

We had a really bad night last night. I finally had to get up with him around 12:30 (in addition to a few times before that). As it turns out, all he wanted to do was play with his puzzles in his room. After about ten minutes of playtime, I managed to rock him to sleep for good. Thankfully, he slept in a little bit and allowed me to do so as well.

I managed to get him to take a decent nap before band practice, but we were a little late as a result. Having recently learned of the passing of one of my childhood heroes, Davy Jones, it was quite appropriate when my son carried two oversized (to him) maracas and a tambourine over to me during one of the songs. I'm a bereaver, indeed.

-----

When I was trying to figure out what we were going to have for lunch, I remembered that my wife said she was having a pizza party for her students today. How fortuitous! After some serious playtime in the morning, we made the short trip to her school and snuck into her classroom undetected. (Of course we checked in with the imposing security guard first!) She was very happy to see (him) us, and the kids had a great time hovering over and nearly smothering him. He was happy to entertain some of his biggest fans that also happen to work at the school.

Everything was great until it came time to leave. Because I had only packed one container of snacks and it needed to get him through band practice as well, I had to take the treats from the toddler. Around the same time, he had to say goodbye to Mommy. That is not a good combination. There was much screaming. Tears were shed. About 15 minutes after we got home, he finally stopped and fell asleep for his pre-rehearsal nap. Phew.

No comments:

Post a Comment