Thursday, November 10, 2011

Days 52 and 53

One thing I forgot to mention yesterday- my son has found a way to beat the gate meant to keep him off of the stairs. He discovered that he can pull himself up on the railing and posts on the outside edge of the steps and walk up that way. I'm not sure if it's normal for him to be this strong/ this good of a climber, but it's certainly made things interesting so far. Pretty much anything he can climb on, he's all over it, and I'm spotting him.

His climbing isn't limited to our home. At music class he has gone up the back of an upright piano and attempted to ascend the wall of filing cabinets. I've started researching colleges that give scholarships for rock climbing. We've got a decent climbing tree in our back yard. Maybe we'll start there and see what he's really made of.

I returned our rental car after music class today. I had to leave my son in his car seat and hook it up to the jogging stroller much like when he was too small to hold his head up. He looked ridiculous, but he managed to fall asleep anyway. He was probably trying to escape the embarrassment of seeing anyone he knew. I also had to carry the base along with pushing the stroller, and this was not an easy task. The straps and hooks that attach to the seat kept smacking against the hard plastic of the base, but it wasn't enough noise to wake up my son. After the mile-and-a-half walk back to our house, he was quickly shocked awake by our guard dogs. He needed to wake up for lunch anyway, but this short nap kept him from taking his usual nap longer in the day and made for an uncharacteristically cranky baby at dinner. Poor kid. Like I've mentioned before, at his worst he's still better behaved than most kids we've seen and heard at restaurants. Toot toot. Oh what's that? That's my horn.
   
-----

We didn't leave the house on this rainy day. We had plenty of outdoor time during the fantastic weather of the rest of the week. I filmed my very giggly son while pushing him in his swing on the aforementioned climbing tree in the backyard. He loves that thing.

He took a long nap today after a couple of failed attempts. His pal Scout wasn't quite doing the job for him today, so I had to step in and rub his back until he fell asleep. It's nice to know that he still needs me every now and then, but that toy has worked wonders for him- both for naps and bedtime. I'm thinking it might be a good idea to ask for nothing but batteries for Christmas this year.

His long nap allowed me to do some combination of yoga, dishes, and very little else for almost 3 hours. Thanks, son!

No comments:

Post a Comment