Monday, April 30, 2012

Days 147, 148, 149, and 150

Today started great: I remembered all of my supplies for the grocery store! We didn't need a lot there, but I was fully prepared. This is my first personal "little victory" in quite some time. Way to go, me!

We overslept for baby storytime yet again, so after the grocery store we stopped at the mall for lunch and a little shopping. I saw Gymboree was having (surprise, surprise) a sale, I figured I'd stop in and get some stuff that Mommy would approve of (forgetting that Mommy had just placed an online order with them the day prior!). Thankfully, I only purchased two items that were the same, and one of them was for our upcoming delivery. Bullet dodged!

When we got to Gymboree, my son walked right to the back of the store and set up shop in their small play/ TV area. He grabbed all of his stuff out of the stroller, spread it all around him, and sat down in one of the chairs. When I went back later after lunch (thinking that I had dropped a pack of wipes that turned out to be at home), I left him in the stroller while I searched the area. When I looked back at the stroller, I saw that my son had stood up and stolen my lemonade right out of the cupholder. I guess he figured I had had enough.

-----

Mommy had the day off yesterday so we could go to the doctor and check on The New Boy (TNB). Since we were both home at the same time for more than an hour, I finally got around to painting the ceiling in TNB's room. Give me a break- I worked hard to get that room empty.

There was a small turnout at music class today. My son and another boy spent a portion of class chasing each other around the classroom, and at one point they ended up in an adjacent stairway. I always close the door when we get there because my son isn't able to open doors just yet. This boy is. Before I knew it, they had gotten through and the other boy door slammed the door behind them. I got to my son rather quickly, but the other boy was up two flights of stairs by the time his mommy got there. For a moment I pondered my responsibility in this situation: should I chase/ grab the boy? Would I want a stranger putting his or her hands on my own son in a situation like this? Would I ever even be in a situation like this? No, because I know where he is at all times. You're on your own, lady.

Now that the painting has begun, I finally got some "me time" during my son's daily nap. It's been a long, long while, and it feels good. I knocked out last 5 or so episodes of Justified: The Complete Third Season over a couple of days as well as some other stuff I had been working on. I know time like this will be few and far between in about four weeks, so I'm enjoying it while it lasts.

-----

Our local minor league baseball team, the Reading Phillies, had an 11:35 game scheduled today, so I called up my dad (being at "the ballyard" is one of Pop Pop's favorite things) and we met him there. We found some empty seats along the right field line and he sat quite comfortably for a couple innings watching the game and enjoying his snack before losing interest and exploring the rest of the area. He really likes the "strongman" mallet game (that Mommy despises).

Pop Pop has made many friends in and around the stadium over the years, so he was able to finagle us some seats right by the screen behind home plate. This gave us a great (and safe) view of the game. One of the aforementioned friends even tossed my son his first* foul ball! My son and I split a couple slices of pizza and got through about 6 innings before he decided it was time for a nap. The team has a couple more early games between now and TNB's opening day, so hopefully we'll get to do this again.

(*While he was still in the womb, I got a foul ball hit by Chase Utley at a Spring Training game in Dunedin, Florida.)

-----

On days like today (cold and overcast), we have to find ways to keep ourselves active. Recently, my son has taken a liking to having dance parties with the "Top Lists" area of Spotify. Together, we've discovered some pretty darn awful pop music. OK, it's not all bad. I suppose I am the one hitting "play", after all! Some of his favorites are "We Are Young" by fun., "Call Me Maybe" by Carly Rae Jepsen, and "What Makes You Beautiful" by One Direction. Good stuff. Much like Daddy, he doesn't get the Gotye hype and continues to mow the carpet, stairs, and window when "Somebody That I Used To Know" comes on. It's a good way to have some fun (and get him all tired out before nap time), and it's not at all embarrassing when neighbors walk by and see me jumping around like a fool.

No comments:

Post a Comment