Monday, April 16, 2012

Days 138, 139, 140, and 141

We went to the playground today. He decided to leave at one point but did a literal 180 degree turn when two little blonde girls pulled up with their mommy in a minivan. For the next hour or so, he chased them around while holding some sort of conversation with the younger of the two. The older sister, roughly 4, just tilted her head like a dog trying to interpret the weather report. We're getting there.

Haircuts are fun. My son's hair grows at a speed somewhere between Usain Bolt and some other fast person. His hatred of haircuts falls somewhere between my hatred for linebeards and "ill" shirts. In order to get him to cooperate today I bounced him gently as we watched cars through the picture window of the hair saloon while my wife paged through a magazine featuring photos of dogs and the hair dresser snuck around us in an effort to not be noticed. I think it worked.

-----

He woke up today and decided that he was going to wave and say hi and bye to everyone and everything he saw today. It's tied with "everything except bodily functions and most forms of screaming" for "cutest thing he's done yet". Doggies, clerk at the Reebok outlet, empty living room, music classmates, bottle, photographs- pretty much anything and anyone except when we ask him to do it. "I'm not your monkey, Dad!"

-----

A recent decision to list all of my books on Amazon.com has caused me to make several visits to the post office. My son is generally very well-behaved when we are there, and today was no exception. He even got a sticker from the clerk to enjoy (read: look at quizzically). Unlike our last trip, everyone in line seemed to understand that you need to put the address on a package in order for it to get to its destination. Take notes, son.

-----

I'm sure I've mentioned his lawn mower before. He takes it all over the house and uses it to mimic both the lawn mower proper and the vacuum cleaner. Up the steps, in the window, over the dogs- it doesn't matter; he's mowing. I saw another child pushing one of these around the neighborhood, and I've been having trouble getting him to stay on a straight path on our walks, so I thought I'd see if the lawn mower might make a difference. Whenever he tried to make an unnecessary turn, I pushed it the correct direction and he followed. That is, of course, until I tried to demonstrate it to Mommy! Regardless, it kept us off the street and other people's yards. I'm going to have to call that progress.

No comments:

Post a Comment