Sunday, April 1, 2012

Days 131, 132, 133, 134, and 135

Today marked the return of Baby Storytime at our local library. Based on our behaviorial advancements at music class, I was excited to see how these skills would translate. Things started off very well, as he grabbed a chair and sat down soon after we took off our coats (all of the other children sit on the floor or on a lap). After I sat down, he came over and sat on my lap for a little bit but soon got a little distracted by some magnets. I attempted to redirect him, but I was met with a very angry series of "DAHDAHDAHDAHDAHDAH DAAAAAAAHHHHH!!!"s. We retreated to a magnetless area of the library and returned just in time for the bubbles. We certainly didn't want to miss those.

We stopped at the grocery store afterward, and my streak of forgetting an essential grocery accessory continues. This time it was the reusable bags. I'll get it next week- I promise.

Pop Pop G was doing work at the house when we got home. While I unloaded the non-reusable grocery bags, my son snuck out the back door and led Pop Pop on a tour of our block. There were no reported bumps, scratches, or street crossings.

-----

Let me tell you about a little film called Beverly Hills Chihuahua 2. My son somehow recorded it on the DVR a few weeks ago, and little did we know how important this would become. I've never seen a second of the first film, and honestly I had no idea they made a second one (or a third one for that matter!). In the film, a litter of chihuahua puppies somehow thwarts a bank robbery ring by sneaking into a bread factory and hurtling pans and buns at the bad guys. French Stewart and the girl who played Al on Step By Step are both in it. A true classic.

Did I mention the dogs talk? That's kind of significant, as it causes my son to freeze wherever he may be, grab his chair, and sit and watch quietly until we turn it off. He does not get bored. He does not get distracted. He watches and legitimately enjoys this movie. He laughs at the funny parts, dances to the music, and is in all other ways completely engaged.

I don't want my son to be too interested in TV, or video games, or the Internet. I don't want TV to become the babysitter that I see many parents allow it to be. However, much like Scout, this thing just works. This morning, when my son decided he needed to get up VERY early and watch Mommy leave for work (which resulted in quite the fit), I was happy it was there. After several minutes of trying to calm him down the old-fashioned way, I gave in. Power, My DVR, Down x3, Right, OK, calm child. We watched that whole darn movie straight through. Then we went back to bed. I still don't understand what they were doing in a bread factory though.

-----

Today we witnessed likely the worst meltdown in the history of toddlers. Luckily, neither of us were involved. There was screaming, crying, stomping, and punching. As it turns out, it was all because mommy entered the building through a different door than what the kid was expecting. I'm not looking forward to that age.

-----

I had planned on taking a daytrip to Delaware today, but plans changed when Baby 2.0's crib was scheduled to be delivered at some point in the day. I was somehow able to whittle an initial window of 11-5 down to 11-1. Though this still didn't allow us to take our trip, I wasn't too disappointed because the weather wasn't all that great, and there will be other days. Now I just need to clear some space so I can put this crib together. We should also start working on a name slightly better than Baby 2.0, too. How about Zwei-Dos?

-----

We started the day with a quick trip to Philadelphia to pick up race materials for a friend. We couldn't stay long because we had band practice later in the day. We made it just in time to wait for it to start.

My son is getting a little more serious about the drums each time we play. Today he attempted to push me out of my seat and eventually succeeded. He still alternates between hitting the drums and banging on the piano, but it's getting more and more uneven. I'm still going to lightly nudge him towards the piano, but I won't be upset if he chooses both. Or more. Or something else entirely.

No comments:

Post a Comment