Friday, January 6, 2012

Days 80, 81, and 82

Once again it appears that some time off from music class was good for my son. For the first time since we started, he was marching when he was supposed to march, spinning when he was supposed to spin, and jumping when he was supposed to jump. While none of the mommies actually said anything to me about it, I could tell by their looks that they were proud/ happy/ surprised to see his progress. Next month he'll actually be the minimum age for the group that he's in, so maybe we're just right on schedule.

We made a few stops after music class, the final one being the mall. I needed some oil for our snowblower, and my son needed to see some puppies. I haven't had a stroller in my car for a while because of hauling Christmas presents, so I either had to carry him or let him walk on his own. Being that he still doesn't take direction very well, we walked over the "Sears Bridge" nearly 8 times. After he finally tired of the bridge, we headed to the pet store.

He wasn't as excited to see the puppies as he usually is. Instead he chose to wander around the store, picking up random bags of sand, feed, and bedding along the way. When he was carrying around one of the bags with two hands, I noticed that no longer had his water. I found where the bag belonged, and sure enough, there was his water.

We watched his new favorite show, Jack's Big Music Show, after a late lunch, and then it was time for his nap. Nick Jr. always has some sort of educational lesson after each show as well as a music video from one of their other shows. Just as we were making our way up the steps, his Gabba friends came on the screen and got him all riled up. Though I was still able to get him to go upstairs, he refused to go to sleep on his own. Luckily I haven't forgotten how to rock him to sleep. I guess I will have to start that up again soon enough! I was surprised that he was able to fall asleep so easily because his head was hanging off of my shoulder and falling fast. It surely wasn't the most comfortable sleeping position, but we made it work.

-----

After a stop at Goodwill to drop off some old clothes, we went to the Animal Rescue League to donate some old towels and visit the animals. My son was surprisingly unfazed by the multitude of dogs barking loudly at him as we walked through the kennels. He thinks they are so funny. He shared a few cute moments with a poodle mix that reached out to him from its cage, but we are hardly in the market for another pet. I always look forward to going to places like that, but actually being there always makes me so sad.

After checking out the dogs and mostly ignoring the cats, our last stop was the small animal room. We spent a good deal of time talking about bunnies, hamsters, and chinchillas with the nice old lady volunteer that seemingly runs that part of the shelter. She was so sweet, and it was comforting to see someone who clearly cares so much about the animals. It's tough to tell, but I think my son will share Mommy's and my love for animals. I look forward to giving him "his" first pet!

-----

Uh oh. "Toes" and "nose" seem to be very confusing to my almost 18-month old son. I know we'll figure it out, but it certainly could result in some interesting situations in the future if he never learns the difference!

It looks like it's going to be warming up a little bit this weekend. It's a good thing, too, because we have to start training next week for a half marathon at the end of March. I can't wait to get back outside with my little training partner. It's going to get a lot tougher when I have to run with one of those ridiculous double strollers later this year!

No comments:

Post a Comment