Tuesday, December 13, 2011

Days 69 and 70

Today we got a chance to go for a walk. When I say "we", I mean my son, both dogs, and I went for a walk. I'm not sure that this particular crew has ever done that before. I think all of us walked around the block with my wife one time, but never just the four of us. If this doesn't seem like much of a challenge to you, you've clearly never gone on a walk with my dogs.

It's very difficult for them to decide which side of the sidewalk they want to be on. It's also a constant competition to see who can be the lead dog. Of course there's also the pooping, the stopping for no reason, the squirrel/ rabbit/ dog/ bird chasing, and myriad other difficulties that may occur. Couple that with the added responsibility of keeping tabs on my son, and you've got a recipe for an eventful walk.

After getting everyone in his or her stroller and/ or collar, we were off. The first half-mile of a walk with my dogs is always the worst. With the added obstacle of the stroller, it was more difficult than I had anticipated. Ellie, the skittish shelter dog, cringes at every unfamiliar sound or touch- the stroller isn't so quiet when it hits bumps, and she doesn't quite get the idea that it is travelling at the same speed as she. Davi, the elder wannabe alpha dog, can still hear the sound of the stroller but can't see it. He got "ankled" too many times to count.

Eventually they get a little tired of pulling on their leashes and they act like they know what "heel" means. We did do some obedience training; you just wouldn't know it. They settled down just in time for me to decide whether to make this a long or short walk. I chose long, and they didn't let me down. They even helped me rescue a runaway dog whose walker had dropped its leash. My son was in heaven when its own showed up carrying his other dog. Four "dups"! In one place!!!

When we got home from our nearly 3 mile excursion, Mommy was resting on the couch. She was more than happy to warm up his rosy little cheeks.

-----

Today was our last storytime before Christmas. When we had our last storytime before Halloween, most of the moms dressed up their kids in their costumes, so I figured it might be a good time to put my son in the Santa suit I bought him for the race last weekend. No one else dressed up. That doesn't make it wrong.

We did some shopping before lunchtime (Daddy always needs more v-necks!), and I decided to keep him in his Santa outfit. For such a ridiculous purchase, it is certainly worth the adorableness of seeing a little Santa waddling around Old Navy.

A girl stopped and asked me about my shoes while we were shopping because her husband loves them. I gave her several shopping options, and we parted ways. It's almost shocking to be approached by strangers these days for anything other than talking about how awesome my son is.

No comments:

Post a Comment