Tuesday, August 23, 2011

It Begins

Let me explain. No, it's too much. Let me sum up.

My name is Kevin. I am 33 and live in Sinking Spring, PA. For the past 11 years, I have worked as a junior high school teacher in the school district from which I graduated. For much of that time I have worked part-time for Philadelphia Phillies, played drums in several bands, and announced high school sports. My newest projects are finishing my third Master's degree, training for my second marathon, and teaching my first drum student.

On July 13th, 2010, my wife and I welcomed our son into the world. My wife, also a teacher, was able to spend the following school year at home completing graduate level classes online and taking care of the baby. Throughout the year we discussed our future plans: namely what we would do when she had to go back to work. If we had created a list on our options, day care would have been at the very bottom. Our parents are all very busy, so working out a schedule to find someone to watch him during the day would be quite difficult. Looking to work from home, my wife attempted to get a job with a cyber school. She was perhaps too honest about her motive during the interview process, and that likely disqualified her from consideration. If she chose to quit her job outright, we would have to pay back all of her compensation from the past year. There was no easy answer.

The school year went on, and we still had not reached a decision. All the while there was an option that neither of us were very excited about: I could stay home. She didn't like it because it would mean that she would have to go back to work. I didn't like it because it would mean that I would have to alter my "go-go-go!!!" lifestyle. However, it soon became the only practical choice. I decided to be an adult for a change and do the best thing for my family. I met with our district superintendent, explained my plans to finish my current graduate program, and it was settled. For the 2011-2012 school year, I would be on professional development leave and be a stay-at-home dad.

So that brings us to this evening. As I sit here and type this, my wife, coworkers, and other teacher friends are sleeping, having gone to bed anxiously anticipating their first day of work later today. It's 1 o'clock in the morning, and I am the most relaxed I have been in years. I know my son is going to wake up somewhere between 9 and 10 o'clock. I know I have to take him for an 8 mile run after that. I know my wife is coming home for lunch at 11:30. I know I have to lay down some drum tracks at 6. What I don't know is pretty much anything else about how this year is going to play out. And I couldn't be more excited.

Welcome to SabDadical.

No comments:

Post a Comment