Tuesday, August 30, 2011

Day 4

While on the trail today, a fellow runner called out to me as he ran towards us in the opposite lane. At first I was a little bothered by his words because I thought he said "Get rid if that, and get some speakers"- referring to my preference of listening to podcasts such as The Grizzly Bear Egg Cafe when I run. Many runners (mostly the serious, talented ones) have a disdain for those who run while using earbuds or headphones. In fact, many races forbid runners from using such devices; they say it's for safety reasons. I once shared an article with my students about a woman who won a marathon only to have her prize stripped from her because she was using an iPod during the race. Strangely, the second place winner was also disqualified because she consumed an unauthorized liquid provided to her by someone other than a race volunteer. While I understand the need to establish rules and consider everyone's safety, I have yet to encounter a runner who listens to his music at such a volume that he is unable to react to the customary "on your left" warning when he is about to be passed. Regardless, I wasn't happy with his comment. Then, a split second later, I realized what he actually said, and I felt bad for not acknowledging him. His advice- "Get rid of that (the stroller), and get him some sneakers". If I had heard him correctly through his panting, I'm still not sure what I would have said. I probably would have over-explained how good of a walker he has become in such a short time, and how he started on Father's day, and that we were lucky enough to catch his first steps on video, and that he likes to chase me around the couch, and countless other things I wouldn't have been able to fit in the second-and-a-half I had to respond. Instead I just nodded.

I noticed today how nice it is to talk to another adult once in a while. I'm only four days deep in this experience, and the one thing I truly miss about working is occasional interaction with my peers. I found myself rambling when on the phone with an old friend this evening. I caught myself and apologized. I imagine I'll be doing a lot of that over the next year. During a tough day at work, I could always count on a laugh while eating lunch with my fellow teachers. While my son and I certainly make each other laugh, his sense of humor is yet to develop past fart noises, pratfalls, and silly faces. Come to think of it, that's not all so different from lunch at school.

No comments:

Post a Comment